Summer is a great time of year to enjoy the outdoors, relax and get that very much needed vitamin D. But it’s important to take care of your body and skin during this season.
So we at INDULGE thought we would share some self-care tips on how to continue to care for yourself during the summer months.
1) Pedicure: Summer time means the Summer wardrobe can finally come out as well as those summer sandals and flip flops….but are your feet ready?
If not don’t worry we have some tips on how to get your feet ready for those summer days & nights!
- Soak your feet in a tub of water with a few drops of teat tree oil to help revitalise & refresh tired feet!
- Pat feet dry and buff away dead dry skin on your heels, balls and sides of your feet with a foot file.
- Massage our Lavender & Manuka honey body polish over your feet and legs to exfoliate and re-energize your skin.
- Rinse and trim your nails & cuticle
- Finish by apply your favourite polish shade! Go bright…it’s summer after all!
- Finally, moisture your feet with our Lavender Balm concentrating on your heels. Now your ready to go!
- Did you know the skin on your feet is up to 10 times thicker than the rest of your body skin? Requiring a much more intense moisturising routine. You can use our balm on your feet every night as a deep hydrating treatment leaving them smooth and soft by the morning!
2) Glowing skin: During the summer months our body can feel dry and dull. Using a body oil can really give your skin the hydration it needs! Our top tip is to apply the oil to slightly damp skin after your bath or shower; the oil will lock in that extra moisture from the water onto the skin, providing extra hydration! Our Lavender Infused Body Oil will leave a light and dewy glow to the skin making it look naturally radiant too! Remember to exfoliate your skin too and drink lots of water!
Give those pesky dry spots (like heels and cuticles) an extra dose of oil to show those areas some tender love and care.
Also, if you have had a little bit too much sun and your skin is feeling rather sore & red or those pesky mosquito have enjoyed a nibble round your ankles apply a few drops of our lavender oil to help relieve the inflammation and soothe and heal the skin. Lavender has natural anti-inflammatory & anti bacterial properties which help calm & repair irritated skin (great to apply to an annoying angry red spot that decides to make it’s appearance too!).
3) Keeping cool: Though the sun makes us feel good feeling too hot can make us feel irritated and uncomfortable. So here are a few ways to cool down during.
- Cold foot bath- Placing your feet in a cold foot bath cools your body and allows you to sit back and relax. Simply add cold water and ice cubes to a bucket of water. Immerse your feet and soak for up to 20 minutes. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil for an added cooling effect.
- Aloe Vera- You can apply aloe vera gel to your skin for a cooling effect. Either use the inside gel of a fresh plant or a pure aloe vera gel. Top Tip: Keep it in the refrigerator before application.
- Cold pack- Our Serenity Pillow is great to cool your neck, eyes & any other areas that need cooling off! Keep it in a freezer bag and place in the freezer. It feels instantly refreshing and not too cold (like a bag of peas would) and the lavender buds and essential oil infused inside the pillow is delicate enough to induce calm and aid in relaxation. It’s great for headaches and migraines too!
- A little mummy tip!- it’s great for minor bumps and bruises. I use it on my little ones if they bump themselves, they prefer it to an ice cold bag of peas!!!
In the winter you can use it warm to ease aches and pains and a replacement to a hot water bottle.
4) Beauty Sleep: We all know how important sleep is for our health and well-being (check out our previous sleep blog) but it can be difficult to sleep during those hot summer nights. Try sleeping in silk to help regulate your body temperature. Not only does it make you feel elegant it’s light and breathable texture helps keep you cool during those hot sticky nights enabling you to enjoy a much-deserved rest. It also has great skin and hair benefits too (find out more in our July blog post). Take a look at our Mulberry Silk Selection.
5) Sun safety: Sometimes being in the UK we don’t always remember to put on our sunscreen and associate it more with holidays abroad (I know I used to…oops!) But sun protection is so important whatever country you are in! Even during the winter months skin should be protected from the harmful UV rays. Exposure to UV rays can cause premature ageing of the skin and signs of sun damage such as wrinkles, leathery skin, liver spots, actinic keratosis, and solar elastosis. Always remember to wear sunscreen, perhaps choose a tinted moisturiser with a high SPF to keep your skin protected while emulating a natural looking glow?!
6) The power of scent: There is no denying inhaling a favourite scent invokes a positive reaction. Scents send signals to our limbic system, which is the sector of the brain that controls memory and emotion. According to a 2011 study conducted by Masahiro et al, positive emotions, which can be elicited by certain fragrances have been proven to lower stress levels and improve overall mental outlook. So, choose a fragrance that you love whether it’s a favourite summertime perfume that evokes memories of a wonderful holiday, a room fragrance or candle, fill your environment with scent and encourage the release of those positive brain endorphins! Try a few sprites of our Lavender Pillow Mist onto your pillow at night. The scent will help calm the mind & prepare you for sleep.
These 6 tips are not an exclusive list (there are numerous ways to aid wellness) but I hope you find these tips and ideas useful. Have a wonderful summer and remember to put yourself at the top of your to do list and make time for you.
What do you love to do during the summer months? Comment below if you have any tips you would love to share!